Wednesday, June 18, 2008

More random thoughts

I just brought home my first HDtv yesterday. First impressions were less than overwhelming. The colors were over saturated, the picture fuzzy, and well, it just looked bleh. Then I realized my media splitter box could have been the culprit. Becky and I took it out and low and behold now I see what all the fuss is about. Beautiful clean picture and this is before we get anything in HD. I think this is the same for a lot of things in life. We have our own splitter boxes, things that we filter all of our life experiences through. For me it’s sometimes being passive and just taking everything in. I talk about doing things, about trying to make differences in all things I do, but I know soon I’ll sink back into coasting mode. I could blame it on my young children, or the work I do, or whatever. In reality the fingers point to me and the habits I have. I need to get better at doing and less at watching or waiting. Writing is a classic example. It is easy to wait for the muse to whisper in my ear sweet nothings of goodness, but I know in reality that writing is a craft that sometimes you need to hit your head against the keyboard to loosen up some ideas that are stuck up there. Is that fun? Hell no, and sometimes I get the s key stuck to my forehead, but it’s truly the only way to get going anywhere.

When I was a kid I wanted to be the absolute best at something. I didn’t care what it was, but I wanted to find something I could be the best in. I just knew I was a natural something; I just needed to figure out what that something was. I searched around low and high and while I could find things I was good at, there was always someone better. That proved to be very frustrating. Where was my niche? What made me special? I know, I was the best me I could be, but that was bull crap, and I knew it. From sports, to school, to whatever I couldn’t find a way I was naturally the best. Here’s the silly part. I didn’t realize that it was the work that separated the best from the rest. Yes they might be naturally gifted in that area, but gifts are only going to get you so far. You still need to put in the time and energy to get better at it. You also need to have the drive to improve since the better you get the less the improvement with the same amount of time and effort (at least in my experience). I am trying to get myself there. I don’t mean I still need to be the best at what I do, but I do want to be more active, always improving so I can honestly say I tried to maximize myself, and that’s all you really can do, isn’t it?

Okay enough philosophy crap. Next time maybe we will start with a germ of an idea and develop it right on the website. We can see how far all of us can take it. (And since I’m the only one reading this…..)

No comments: