Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm baaack!

Okay, so I haven’t been too good at updating the old blog in the past month. You might ask what has kept you so busy. My answer would be everything and nothing. Everyone has those times where work, family, social life, and community obligations just overwhelm us. Well, that was me for the past month. I think I’ve put my hands around it lately and have whittled away on my side projects down to a mere handful, but we will see how long that holds up.

I am trying to develop a new short movie. I’m not going to put artificial time limits on it, but I do know it won’t be feature length. I have a really interesting set of characters, and one of them has a pseudo supernatural quirk that makes her kind of cool. I know a lot about her social life. I know her upbringing. I know about her boyfriend. I know her friend at work. The problem is I don’t know where she works yet. To me I need that to wrap all my ideas around. My female lead needs to deal with quirk both as a personal thing, but I think it would have a lot of potential at work. I just don’t want to run off and make her something the quirk would immediately fit into since she develops it during the first act of the screenplay. Maybe you would get a gift that makes your job easier, but to me that would be too, I don’t know, contrite? Contrite might not be the right word, but the feeling is correct. It would be cool if the work was unrelated, but then she can start seeing the pluses and minuses of what she can do. So I am at an impasse. Oh, and did I mention I want to shoot this one so I need to have the work function be something I can do in my small rural northern New York community? Yeah, that makes things harder.

No comments: